This is the first course that I am releasing on Udemy.com, an international platform for online courses of all kind.
For a full description and registration please visit https://www.udemy.com/the-disobedient-writer-break-the-rules-and-free-your-story
Break the rules and free your story
“Write what you know”, “Find your voice,” “Outline” – rules and conventions are pervasive in fiction writing, and whether we are aware of it or not, they shape the way we approach and write our stories. This course aims to free you from the tyranny of the rules and offer a solid foundation of techniques, or roads into writing, that expand your understanding of the workings of creativity, language and story, and help you discover and bring forward your own best work.
Break the rules that limit your creativity and bring forward what you have always wanted to write
- Re-evaluate conventional rules and approaches and decide if they are right for you and your writing
- Discover alternative tools and approaches to expand your creative power and language, and ultimately help you discover the form of your story that gives it the space to fully develop
- Get un-stuck and generate lots of new writing with the help of the fertile writing explorations that accompany each unit
Challenge conventional writing rules and discover effective approaches to bring forth your most creative and surprising work
This course is the fruit of working with thousands of writing students at all levels– I’ve seen them paralyzed by how they think they’re supposed to write, judging their own work so harshly according to conventional rules that they fail to notice the gold in it. They fail to notice that they are doing something different, even unique, and instead throw away work that with some development could be mindblowing! Exquisite! And true to their deeper goals in writing.
In all my teaching, I have found my students to be immensely more creative, and immensely better writers, than they understand themselves to be. What they came to create in writing was way beyond what they had imagined. And I believe, that if you are willing to put in the work, this course can do the same for you.
This course is not meant as a quick fix, and you will get the most out of it if you actively participate in the writing explorations.
Together we’ll look at twelve writing rules and conventions that are generally accepted by many, though certainly not all, writers, and continue to be taught as the way. We’ll look at each of these rules in turn.
- At first, we’ll shake up those conventions, explore a bit of why they have been embraced, and consider what damage they may do to writers, their characters, and their stories.
- Then, we’ll look at a tool or technique for writing beyond this convention in order to deepen your writing and unlock your real creative gifts.
- We’ll finish each unit with a practical exploration to illuminate for you – or familiarize you with – each creativity tool which you can apply immediately to your own writing.
During this journey, we’ll use plenty of examples from literature around the world, by authors such as Toni Morrison, Michael Ondaatje, Zadie Smith and Pablo Neruda.
You’ll be leaving this course with effective approaches to bring forth your most creative and surprising work.
I hope to see you there!